What is Hypnotherapy? What is Hypnosis?
First things first. You should ignore everything you know from hypnosis on TV or stage. It’s only done for entertainment. The hypnotists you see are trained as illusionists or magicians – not counsellors, psychotherapists or hypnotherapists!
- Hypnosis is completely natural and safe. It can be used by adults or children. It is safe in pregnancy.
- Hypnosis cannot make you do anything you don’t want to.
- You can’t get “stuck” in hypnosis, any more than you could get stuck watching a film. You might get engrossed in a movie and forget about other things for a bit – but you can’t get stuck. It’s the same with hypnosis.
- You’re always completely in control.
- If you want to talk, move about, ask a question or end the session, you can – at any time..
- You can’t be made to reveal anything about yourself that you don’t want to. You’ll be working together with your hypnotherapist to achieve YOUR goals.
- In hypnosis you’ll feel a deep sense of calm and relaxation. It’s a really nice experience.
- Anyone can go into hypnosis. You don’t need any special ability.
- Hypnosis a a very deep state of relaxation. You may experience pleasant sensations of heaviness, numbness, drifting or floating; some people experience tingling fingers or fluttering eyelids. Because hypnosis is so relaxing, it is particularly effective for treating insomnia, anxiety and phobias.
- Hypnotherapy is when suggestions are made to you whilst you are in a state of hypnosis. Because you’re so relaxed, your mind is quiet and calm. This means you’re much more able than usual to focus on the suggestions being made. You’re not distracted. Because you are so deeply relaxed, the critical, conscious part of your mind is also relaxed. This means you’re much more receptive to the suggestions made to you and won’t reject them (for example by saying to yourself “oh no, that wouldn’t work for me”) as you might do usually. But because the suggestions being made will have been agreed in advance with your hypnotherapist, there is nothing to fear. If any suggestion were to be made which you did not want to accept, then you’d simply ignore them as they’d be irrelevant. If suggestions were repeatedly made which you didn’t agree with, you’d find yourself becoming less and less relaxed, so you’d no longer be in hypnosis.
Although there are many different theories why hypnosis works as well as it does, it is agreed that hypnosis is a state where you can easily accept suggestions about changes you want to make. These changes can be to your behaviour, attitudes, beliefs, thoughts or feelings. You choose whether or not to respond to the suggestions being made. Hypnotherapy is particularly good at dealing with problems arising from stress and anxiety. It deals with specific problems and also lets you feel generally more relaxed and confident, meaning that you deal better with life’s ups and downs.
Before entering hypnosis you will discuss with the hypnotherapist those changes you’d like to make. Then when you’ve relaxed deeply and are in hypnosis, you’ll be able to focus on the suggestions being made, based on your earlier discussions. You’ll be able to visualise the improvements to your life making those changes will bring. Because you’re so relaxed, you won’t be distracted, and so you’ll be able to concentrate fully on the ideas and suggestions.
Hypnosis in Stockport
The therapists at Stockport Hypnotherapy have over twenty five years experience in treating insomnia, anxiety and teaching relaxation techniques and self hypnosis. If you are looking for anxiety treatment, or want to find a hypnotherapist in Stockport to help stress and anxiety, emotional problems, tinnitus or low self esteem, then go to any of the independent websites which list and give reviews of hypnotherapists (for example www.freeindex.co.uk – Google also displays reviews) and you will see the excellent results which Pam and her team have achieved. If you would like further information about hypnosis in Stockport, for sleeping problems and insomnia, self esteem and confidence, phobias such as fear of flying, depression, for help with weight loss, to break bad habits, or for any other problem, please call 07779 575816 for a free, no obligation, confidential discussion.
Hypnosis and hypnotherapy in Didsbury, Manchester – convenient for city centre Stockport, Chorlton, Gatley, Cheadle, Stockport and all areas of south and central Manchester.